„Aesculapius” is an active association with activities that are either of an educational or social nature. The executive board does not have to organize all these activities on its own, „Aesculapius” is supported by members of the numerous committees. These committee members voluntarily help organize a great deal of our activities.
Underneath you will find a lot of these activities:
- Career Day: Our Career Day Committee organizes a Career Day once every two years where they give companies and others the opportunity to tell the students about their possibilities to start a career. On the day there will be different pitches, presentations, workshops and stands.
- Excursions: For all of our students we organize an excursion. There is a Freshmen Excursion to a pharmaceutical company near Leiden. The second year students are able to join the Dies Excursion and for the third year students we organize a foreign excursion to a big pharmaceutical country or city. Last year, we went to Geneva and Basel and this year we will go to Parma and Milan. Our master students, both Bio-Pharmaceutical Sciences and Pharmacy, will also get the oppurtunity to participate in an excursion.
- Lunch lectures: During these lectures a speaker will give a presentation about a current interesting topic, but not necessarily a pharmaceutical topic. The committee will always provide a free lunch for all of the attendants. Each study year contains ten lunch lectures.
- Parent's Day: Every year we give parents of our students the possibility to experience a day in the study of their child. There will be presentations of the education office, the institute the LACDR and the study association and parents will visit the departments and work on a practical course. It is a nice opportunity for them to see what it is to be a drug researcher.
- Symposia: Each year two scientific symposia are organized. Different themes that are not highlighted in the study, will be highlighted during one of these days. For example, a symposium can obtain the content of a specific disease.
- TTD’s: TTD is the short term for Third Tuesday Drinks (in Dutch DDB or Derde Dinsdag Borrel). Every month those drinks take place in café ‘De Kroeg’. During these drinks bachelor and master students gather around together to meet each other. The first drink is on cost of „Aesculapius” and afterwards there is the possibility to have a nice dinner with us.
- Dies Week: Every year the association gets a year older and we celebrate this with a week full of activities. We do have a reception, a symposium, a party, a cultural activity, a sport activity, an excursion and at last but not least we close the week with a perfect gala and dinner.
- Freshmen activities: For the freshmen we organize a lot of activities, like a pizza movie night, a freshmen activity (last year we had a nice winter boat tour), a pub quiz and of course all the activities that our Freshmen Committee organizes. Furthermore, at the beginning of each new study year we give the possibility to the freshmen to join us at the Freshmen's Weekend.
- Charity activities: „Aesculapius” has a Charity Committee that raises money for charity. They organize a lot of activities like lunches, an auction and more to make money. This year the charity is the association of tick bite diseases.
- Master activities: Our master students also get our attention. The master committee organizes a drink, a barbecue, a social activity and an excursion. There will be two different excursions. One for the masters Bio-Pharmaceutical Sciences and one for the masters Pharmacy.
- Senior's Weekend: Next to the Freshmen's Weekend, our Senior's Weekend Committee organizes a cosy weekend for our seniors/sophomores. This weekend consists of two theme parties, a game afternoon, a pubquiz and more.
- Student Staf Drinks: To improve the contact between the staff members of our institute and our own members, the board of „Aesculapius” organizes the Student Staf Drinks. During these drinks there will be a pub quiz were different teams compete with each other to win.
Next to these activities, „Aesculapius” also has a magazine (SQ-linair) and a yearly almanac. Furthermore, the association offers study books with discount!